Neet Reservation For OBC-EWS-SC-ST-General

The NEET reservation criteria for the OBC category has been approved for 27 per cent across the medical and dental colleges by the Government of India as per a landmark decision taken on July 29. Know details of category-wise reservations here. 

On July 29, the Government of India had made a landmark decision that from the academic year of 2021-22 onwards, there would be 27 per cent OBC quota in NEET(Non-Creamy Layer) and 10 per cent NEET reservation for EWS in 15 per cent Under Graduate (UG) All India Quota seats (MBBS/BDS) (contributed by the State/UTs to the Central Pool). According to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, this new scheme of reservation of the 15 per cent All India Quota (AIQ) seats would be implemented from the upcoming academic year and candidates who would be appearing for the NEET UG and NEET PG exams scheduled for September 12 and September 11 respectively would come under this new reservation scheme.


NEET 2021 AIQ Reservation Scheme

The following table brings the new NEET reservation criteria for OBC, EWS, SC, ST and PwD categories under the 15 per cent AIQ seats are as follows:

Categories Reservation Percentage
SC 15
ST 7.5
OBC 27
EWS 10
PwD 5

NEET Reservation for OBC

This new OBC quota in NEET as per the NEET 2021 reservation policy is expected to benefit around 2,700 OBC students and 550 EWS students. Prior to this ruling, the 15 per cent AIQ seats included 27 per cent OBC reservation in NEET and 10 per cent EWS reservation only for National institutes or Central Universities, which reduced their scope of admission for the rest of the MBBS and BDS colleges.

According to NTA, only those OBC candidates belonging to the Non-Creamy Layer (NCL) would be eligible for the 27 per cent reservation. Hence, while applying for NEET 2021 counselling rounds, candidates must ensure that they have all the required documents, without which they would not be considered eligible for the reservation.

NEET Reservation for EWS

As far as the NEET reservation for the EWS category is concerned, in order to fulfill the eligibility criteria, candidates should not possess the following property details or the annual income in order to fulfill the following criteria to be eligible for this reservation:

  • The annual income of candidates’ families should not exceed Rs 8 lakh
  • Candidates’ families should not own five acres of agricultural land and above
  • Candidates’ families should not own a residential flat of 1,000 square feet and above
  • Candidates’ family members should not own residential plot of 100 square yards and above in notified municipalities
  • Candidates’ families should not own residential plots of 200 square yards and above in areas other than the notified municipalities

NEET Reservation for PwD

Candidates who consider themselves eligible for this category are advised to ensure their eligibility by getting themselves examined at any Government Medical College/District Hospital/Government Hospital. Such Government Medical College/District Hospital/Government Hospital shall issue a Disability Certificate.

After this, candidates, upon selection under PwD Category, will have to produce a Disability Certificate issued by the Disability Assessment Board. Hence, it is important for the candidates to appear before the Disability Assessment Board so as to determine whether they may register or participate in the common online Counselling towards admission in medical courses, after the declaration of the NEET 2021 result.

In case candidates are considered ineligible by the Disability Assessment Board, they may not register or participate in the common online Counselling and any online provisional allotment of the medical college shall be entirely fraudulent on the part of the candidate. Physical verification of various certificates including academic and Disability will be done upon reporting for admission to the medical college.

This was all about the 15 per cent AIQ reservation criteria. The rest of the 85 per cent seats are reserved for the State Quota. Each state has its own category-wise reservation criteria.


Read Also :

Top Medical Colleges in India


NEET Syllabus

NEET application process

NEET Application – Correction Window

NEET Study Material – Free Download PDF Notes

Neet Reservation For OBC-EWS-SC-ST-General

NEET Chemistry Chapter Wise Weightage

NEET Chapter Wise Weightage of Physics, Chemistry and Biology

NEET Chemistry Important Topic with Chapter Wise Weightage

NEET Eligibility Criteria

Best NEET Biology Books

Best NEET Chemistry Books

Best NEET Physics Books

NEET  UG Answer Key

Apply Now

Apply Now

Inquiries +91-8126030103

Our Popular Courses

Top Examinations

Open chat
Need Help?
Scan the code
Welcome to shiksha view
How can I Help You