NEET Syllabus 2023 consists of subjects from Class 11 and Class 12 for Science stream Physics, Chemistry and Biology subjects. The NEET 2023 syllabus has remained the same as last year. The complete NEET syllabus 2023 PDF has been released by NTA along with the notification and information bulletin on March 6. NEET 2023 will be conducted on May 7.
Medical aspirants planning to appear for the NEET exam for the next academic year must be thorough with the NEET 2023 syllabus comprising three subjects – Physics, Chemistry and Biology (Botany and Zoology). Topics covered in these three subjects from Class 10 to Class 12 will be included in the NEET UG syllabus. Hence, students who are also preparing for their Board exams can go for a common preparation in the initial phases. According to NTA, the NEET exam syllabus is the same as that of the Board exams.
In this article, we have divided the NEET syllabus 2023 into two parts, that is, the topics covered in Class 11 and those covered in Class 12 in each of the NEET subjects. Along with the NEET syllabus, this article also includes a list of the books suggested by experts and toppers. Aspirants can go for the NEET syllabus 2023 PDF download topic-wise here. They will also be able to check the NEET 2023 chapter-wise weightage here on this page.
NEET Syllabus 2023: Subject and Chapter wise
As NEET is one of the toughest competitive exams, aspirants should have an idea about the topic-wise NEET syllabus 2023. They should know how many questions would be asked from which topic of the particular subject, or the NEET subject-wise weightage. NEET 2023 syllabus comprises three subjects, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology. A maximum number of questions are asked from Biology which is divided into Zoology and Botany. It is very important for a candidate to know the syllabus of NEET as per topics. They should know how many topics are there in each subject so that they could allocate time accordingly. Knowing the topic-wise NEET exam syllabus will help the candidate to build their confidence and they don’t get nervous at the last moment of preparation. From Physics, topics like Optics, Electrostatic, Thermodynamics, etc. have high weightage while in Biology subjects, Genetics and Evolution, and Human Physiology are high weightage topics.
Let us take a look at the major topics from the NEET Biology syllabus and the class-wise distribution of subjects alongside weightages assigned to those.
NEET 2023 Biology Class 11 Syllabus
- Diversity in Living World
- Structural Organization in Animals and Plants
- Cell Structure and Function
- Plant Physiology
- Human physiology
NEET 2023 Biology Class 12 Syllabus
- Genetics and Evolution
- Biology and Human Welfare
- Biotechnology and Its Applications
- Ecology and environment
NEET chapter-wise weightage for Biology
The following table brings the topics from the NEET Biology syllabus in NEET along with their weightage.
|Name of the chapter||Number of questions asked (Approx.)||Weightage in percent|
|Anatomy of Flowering Plants||0-1||2|
|Biodiversity and Conservation||1||3|
|Biotechnology and its Applications||1||3|
|Biotechnology: Principles and Processes||1||3|
|Body Fluids and Circulation||0-1||1|
|Breathing and Exchange of Gases||0-1||2|
|Cell Cycle and Cell Division||0-1||2|
|Cell: The Unit of Life, Biomolecules||0-1||2|
|Chemical Coordination and Integration||1||4|
|Digestion and Absorption||1||3|
|Excretory Products and their Elimination||0-1||2|
|Human Health and Disease||1||3|
|Locomotion and Movement||0-1||2|
|Microbes in Human Welfare||0-1||2|
|Molecular Basis of Inheritance||2||6|
|Morphology of Flowering Plants||1||5|
|Neural Control and Coordination||0-1||2|
|Organisms and Populations||0-1||2|
|Photosynthesis in Higher Plants||0-1||2|
|Plant Growth and Development||0-1||1|
|Principles and Inheritance and Variation||1||5|
|Reproduction in Organisms||0-1||1|
|Respiration in Plants||0-1||1|
|Sexual Reproduction in Flowering Plants||1||5|
|Strategies for Enhancement in Food Production||0-1||2|
|Structural Organisation in Animals||0-1||2|
|The Living World||0-1||2|
|Transport in Plants||0-1||1|
NEET Biology Topic-wise Questions
Analyzing the topic-wise weightages of the Biology section, Shiksha is bringing topic-wise questions asked in the previous years’ NEET question papers which they can practice from. Some of the important topics include Cell Cycle and Cell Division, Microbes in Human Welfare, Reproduction in Organisms, Human Reproduction, Biological Classification and Living World. Candidates can download the question paper PDFs from the below table.
Best books for NEET Biology
Some of the best books for NEET Biology preparation are as follows:
- 40 Days Biology for NEET by S Chakravarty
- Exploring Biology (Vol 1 & 2) by Sanjay Sharma & Sudhakar Banerjee (Arihant Publications)
- GR Bathla publications for Biology
- Medical Entrances Biology (Vol 1, 2 & 3) by Mamta R Solanki & Lalita Ghotik (Target Publications)
- Moderns ABC of Biology for XI & XII (B B Arora and A K Sabharwal – Modern Publishers)
- Objective Biology (Vol 1, 2 & 3), Dinesh Publications
- Objective Botany by Ansari
- Pradeep’s Publication Biology
- True man’s Objective Biology for NEET by M P Tyagi
NEET Physics syllabus comprises topics from both Class 11 and Class 12. Candidates need to prepare all the topics of Physics thoroughly to score good marks in the exam. NEET syllabus for Physics will have 10 and 9 topics from classes 11th and 12th respectively. Candidates are advised to plan topics as per the weightage of marks.
NEET 2023 Physics Class 11 Syllabus
The NEET Physics syllabus of Class 11 has a total of 10 topics. Candidates must check the number of questions being asked from each topic of the NEET 2023 Physics-Class 11 Syllabus and weightage. That will help candidates to plan and devote time to NEET subjects accordingly. Below is the list of the topics of the class 11 Physics syllabus for NEET 2023.
- Physical-world and measurement
- Laws of Motion
- Work, Energy and Power
- Motion of System of Particles and Rigid Body
- Properties of Bulk Matter
- Behavior of Perfect Gas and Kinetic Theory
- Oscillations and Waves
NEET 2023 Physics Class 12 Syllabus
Class 12 Physics syllabus for NEET 2023 exam will have a total of nine topics. Candidates must check the number of questions being asked from each topic of the NEET 2023 Physics-Class 12 Syllabus. Below is the list of the topics in the Class 12 NEET Physics syllabus.
- Current Electricity
- Magnetic Effects of Current and Magnetism
- Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Currents
- Electromagnetic Waves
- Dual Nature of Matter and Radiation
- Atoms and Nuclei
- Electronic Devices
NEET chapter-wise weightage for Physics
The following table brings the topics from the NEET Physics syllabus along with their weightage.
|Name of the chapter||Number of questions asked (Approx.)||Weightage in percent|
|Dual Nature of Radiation and Matter||2||6|
|Electric Charges and Fields||1||4.5|
|Electrostatic Potential and Capacitance||1||4.5|
|Laws of Motion||1||3|
|Magnetism and Matter||1||2.5|
|Mechanical Properties of Fluids||0-1||2|
|Mechanical Properties of Solids||0-1||2|
|Motion in a Plane||0-1||1.5|
|Motion in a Straight Line||0-1||1.5|
|Moving Charges and Magnetism||1||2.5|
|Physical World, Units and Measurements||0-1||2|
|Ray optics and optical instruments||1||5|
|Semiconductor Electronics: Materials, Devices and Simple Circuits||2||6|
|System of Particles and Rotational Motion||1||5|
|Thermal Properties of Matter||0-1||2|
|Work, Energy and Power||1||4|
Best books for NEET Physics
Some of the best books for NEET Physics preparation are as follows:
- 40 Days Physics for NEET by S B Tripathi
- Concepts of Competition Physics for CBSE PMT by Agarwal
- Concepts of Physics by H C Verma
- Fundamental Physics by Pradeep
- Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker
- NCERT Physics by Anil Aggarwal
- Objective Physics By DC Pandey
- Objective Physics by Prof. Satya Prakash Arya (MTG Publishers)
- Physics for NEET by C P Singh
- Problems in General Physics by I E Irodov
The following paragraphs bring the important topics from the NEET syllabus 2023 for Chemistry and their weightage.
NEET 2023 Chemistry Class 11 Syllabus
- Some Basic Concepts of Chemistry
- Structure of Atom
- Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties
- Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure
- States of Matter: Gases and Liquids
- Redox Reactions
- s-Block Element (Alkali and Alkaline earth metals)
- Some p-Block Elements
- Organic Chemistry- Some Basic Principles and Techniques
- Environmental Chemistry
NEET 2023 Chemistry Class 12 Syllabus
- Solid State
- Chemical Kinetics
- Surface Chemistry
- General Principles and Processes of Isolation of Elements
- p- Block Elements
- d and f Block Elements
- Coordination Compounds
- Haloalkanes and Haloarenes
- Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers
- Aldehydes, Ketones and Carboxylic Acids
- Organic Compounds Containing Nitrogen
- Chemistry in Everyday Life
NEET Chapter-wise weightage for Chemistry
The following table brings the topics from the Chemistry section in NEET along with their weightage.
|Name of the chapter||Number of Questions asked (Approx.)||Weightage in percent|
|Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers||2||4|
|Aldehydes, Ketones and Carboxylic Acids||2||4|
|Chemistry in everyday life||1||2|
|d-and f-block elements||2||4|
|General Principles and Process of Isolation elements||1||2|
|Halo alkanes and Haloarenes; Amines||1||3|
|N containing Organic Compounds||1||3|
|Organic chemistry some basic principles and techniques – 1||1||2|
|Organic chemistry some basic principles and techniques – 2||1||2|
|p-block elements(13 14)||2||3.5|
|p-block elements(15 16 17 18)||2||3.5|
|States of Matter||1||2|
|Structure of Atom||1||2|
|The Solid State||1||2|
Best books for NEET Chemistry
Some of the best books for NEET Chemistry preparation are as follows:
- 40 Days Chemistry for NEET by Sudhanshu Thakur
- Boyd for Organic Chemistry
- Concise Inorganic Chemistry by J D Lee
- Modern’s ABC of Chemistry (Part 1 & 2)
- Objective Chemistry (Volume I, II & III)
- Objective Chemistry by R K Gupta
- Organic Chemistry by Himanshu Pandey (GRB Publication)
- Organic Chemistry by Morrison
- Physical Chemistry by OP Tandon (G R Bathla Publications)
- Practice books
- Inorganic Chemistry – V K Jaiswal
- Organic Chemistry – M S Chauhan
- Physical Chemistry – N Awasthi
NEET 2023 Pattern
The NEET exam syllabus has remained the same over the years. However, the structure of the NEET question paper has changed in the past two years. Prior to giving detailed information on the NEET UG syllabus 2023, let us take a look at the exam pattern in detail. Each subject consists of two sections. Section A will consist of 35 Questions and Section B will have 15 questions, out of these 15 Questions, candidates can choose to attempt any 10 Questions. So, the total number of questions remained the same. The duration of the exam has increased by 20 minutes and the total duration is 200 minutes or 3 hours and 20 minutes. The below table will help candidates understand better.
|Sections||Number of Questions||Total Marks|
|Physics Section A||35||140|
|Physics Section B||15||40|
|Chemistry Section A||35||140|
|Chemistry Section B||15||40|
|Botany Section A||35||140|
|Botany Section B||15||40|
|Zoology Section A||35||140|
|Zoology Section B||15||40|
How to Prepare for NEET 2023 Syllabus
NEET preparation is a time-consuming affair and it should be done with a systematic approach. The first and foremost step is to know the NEET UG syllabus properly. The best part about the NEET syllabus 2023 PDF download topic-wise is from the Class 11 and Class 12 syllabi and students are already familiar with the key concepts. However, NTA has released the syllabus in English only and candidates opting for regional languages or Hindi would have to look for the syllabus in Hindi. Such candidates can seek the help of their teachers and mentors to provide them with the NEET syllabus 2023 PDF download in Hindi. To prepare for the syllabus of NEET, candidates should follow the steps given below:
- Be thorough with the concepts: Students should know the concepts of the important topics from the NEET subjects. They should ensure that there is no gap in their understanding. In case of any doubts or queries, they should approach their mentors or teachers.
- Refer to the best books: While there is no dearth of books to prepare for the syllabus of NEET 2023, students should be careful in selecting those. The factors that need to be kept in mind include the coverage of the NEET syllabus, language quality and reading experience, practice questions and solutions and edition.
- Get enough practice: As they say, practice makes a man perfect. In order to test whether the preparation of a particular section of the NEET 2023 section is complete or not, candidates should take NEET mock tests or solve practice papers regularly. After that, they should analyse their performance to know where they can improve further.
- Analyze strengths and weaknesses: Analyzing one’s strengths and weaknesses is very important as it helps the student understand where he/she is standing in comparison with other candidates. With less than a month to go for the exam, it is high time that they focus on their strengths and don’t stress over their weak areas. However, before leaving out a topic completely, students should check its weightage and then decide.
- Revision: Regular revision is key to NEET preparation. After completing each chapter from the NEET 2023 syllabus, prepare notes on the key points along with charts, tables or diagrams to make it easily comprehensible. Browse through the revision notes on a regular basis to not lose touch on those topics even after completing the basic preparation.
FAQs Regarding NEET Syllabus 2023
Q: Will there be any change in the syllabus of NEET 2023?
A: There has not been any change in the NEET syllabus 2023. In the past few years, the NEET syllabus has remained unchanged even though the exam pattern was changed in the last two years.
Q: Can NEET 2023 questions be out of the syllabus?
A: While there might be a few questions that can be out of the syllabus. But the number of such questions remains low. In the past few years, no such cases were reported.
Q: What is the distribution of questions in the Biology section of the NEET 2023 syllabus?
A: The Biology section of NEET is divided into two sub-sections: Zoology and Botany. Each of these sections will have 50 questions, out of which candidates will have to attempt 45 questions. The total number of questions on Biology in the NEET 2023 question paper will be 90.
Q: What is the distribution of questions in the Chemistry section of the NEET syllabus 2023?
A: The Chemistry section of NEET is divided into three sub-sections: Physical, Organic and Inorganic. The least number of questions are from Physical Chemistry. The total number of questions asked from the Chemistry section will be 50, out of which 45 questions have to be attempted.
Q: What are the important chapters of the NEET syllabus 2023?
A: All the chapters are important for NEET 2023. However, the most number of questions are asked from the following chapters of the syllabus of NEET 2023.
Physics: Current electricity, Dual Nature of Radiation and Matter, Semiconductor Electronics, Thermodynamics
Chemistry: Coordination Chemistry, Thermodynamics, Equilibrium
Biology: Animal Kingdom, Molecular Basis of Inheritance
Q: Where can I download the NEET 2023 syllabus PDF?
A: The NEET 2023 syllabus PDF download can take place from the official website, as and when it is announced, or from this page by clicking on the ‘Download’ tab.
Q: Where can I get the NEET syllabus 2023 PDF in Hindi?
A: NTA has officially released the NEET 2023 syllabus in English. For candidates opting for the exam in Hindi or other regional languages can check their Class 11 and Class 12 syllabus attuned to the NEET syllabus, from their teacher or mentors and request them to provide them with the NEET syllabus 2023 PDF download in Hindi or other regional languages.
Q: Is the NEET syllabus hard?
A: The NEET syllabus is same as that of Class 11 and Class 12 CBSE Board exam syllabi. Hence, it is not that difficult or students need not study anything additional apart from their school or Board exam studies. However, the difficulty level of the exam depends on the question types, which is generally tricky in nature, which makes the difference in the difficulty level.
Q: Are NCERT books enough to complete the NEET syllabus?
A: Yes, NCERT books are sufficient to complete the NEET syllabus. A number of past years’ NEET toppers have claimed that they referred only to NCERT books for preparation. However, for practice purposes, students may refer to other resources as well.
Q: What is the ratio of the NEET syllabus from Class 11 and Class 12?
A: There is no specific or defined ratio of Class 11 and Class in which questions are set from the NEET syllabus. It varies from year to year. Based on the previous year NEET question paper analysis, it has been observed that the ratio of the Class 12 syllabus is higher than that of Class 12 syllabus.
Q: What is the minimum marks to be scored for qualifying in NEET 2023?
A: Candidates belonging to the General category should secure 50 percentile, whereas those belonging to the PwD General category has to secure 45 percentile. The NEET cutoff percentile for the reserved category candidates is 40. The exact qualifying marks or cutoff scores will be announced by NTA along with the scorecards.
NEET 2023 Contact Information
|Name||Contact No.||e-mail id||Service available only on Working Days|
|Help Deskfirstname.lastname@example.org||08:00 am to 08:00 pm|
Our Popular Courses